EXTENSIBLE MARKUP LANGUAGE (XML) GLOSSARY
- Cascading Style Sheets is a standard for applying styles to documents including HTML files on the web.
- Data Type Definition are the rules for a particular type of document.
- Document Object Model is a standard interface for parsing XML files through a hiearchical object model.
- eXtensible Style Language for XML documents.
- eXtensible Style Lanuguage Transformation is a language that can be used to translate one XML document to another and to create XSL documents from XML.
- Simple API for XML is a standard interface for event-based parsing of XML files.
- Simple Object Access Protocol for the exchange of information in a distributed environment.
- eXtensible Markup Language is a metalanguage that allows users to create their own markup language.
- A standard that defines the specifications for hypertext linking with XML documents.
- XML Parser
- A tool that takes XML-tagged text and breaks it down into individual elements. It can check for well-formed constraints and validate according to a DTD.
- An expression language that can be used to search, link, and apply specific formats within XML documents.
Author: Patrick G. Koehler
Date of last revision: 13 December 2001
Extracted from the Group Computing Magazine, July/August 2000, pg. 33.