Limiting Your Content
If you want to restrict the Internet content you or some other worker views, follow these instructions:
- Open Internet Explorer (IE).
- Select VIEW, and then INTERNET OPTIONS.
- Choose the CONTENT tab and click on ENABLE. You will then be prompted for a password, and once you have entered a password, you can define the limits you want to set.
With the CONTENT ADVISOR enabled, you will have to supply the password to access sites with ratings that fall outside your acceptable limits, including all unrated sites.
If you forget your password, follow these instructions to delete the existing password:
First backup your existing Registry by using REGEDIT.EXE located in the WINDOWS subdirectory or reveal your hidden files in the WINDOWS folder. Then locate two files that compose your Registry: USER.DAT and SYSTEM.DAT. Copy these files to some place else on your existing hard drive.You have now deleted your original Content Advisor password. Restart your computer and run IE4. Choose view and then Internet Options, click on the Content tab and click on Disable. When asked for a password, don't enter anything; just click on OK. This will disable the Content Advisor. When you want to use it again, select a password that you can remember.
Then execute REGEDIT.EXE to edit your Registry. You can do this by selecting the START button, choose RUN and type in REGEDIT and select OK.
- Now click on the little plus sign to the left of H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
- Continue to drill down through the keys by selecting that little plus sign at the left of the named key, through Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version and Policies.
- Now click on the Ratings folder. In the right pane of the RegEdit window, you will see an icon called Key. Click on it and press the DELETE key. Next choose Registry, and then Exit to leave RegEdit.
IE4 Tip Menu
Note: Extracted from Government Best Buys dated January 05, 1998