Avoid NT 4.0 Lock Ups
When NT 4.x locks up, give yourself an escape route. To do this you will have to edit the NT Registry by following these instructions:
- Execute REGEDIT32 located in your WINNT\System32 directory or folder. If it is not located there, then do a file search and locate regedit32.exe.
- In REGEDIT32, click on File, Export to a desired file name on another hard drive or folder.
- Locate HKEY_CURRENT_USER in the registry.
- Then find the subkey: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer.
- Create a new DWORD value called "DesktopProcess" and set its data field to 1.
- Quit the Editor, log off, and log back on again.
Now you still should have access to the taskbar and desktop whenever a particular
window freezes up.
This tip comes from Tim Scott [firstname.lastname@example.org].
Just click on the back arrow for the Tiproom Home Page.
Just click on the back arrow for the NT Tip Page.
Date of last revision: 3 August 2001