Improving The NT 4.0 Print Spooler
If you have another hard drive to install, or one available, the drive can be used to place all your printer spooler files on it. In case of large networks or clients performing large print operations, your current print spooler can be improved by creating the spooler on that separate hard drive. Just follow these instructions to change and scure the print spool directory:
- After installing, partitioning, and formatting your new hard drive with NTFS called drive D for an example, remove Full Control permissions from Everyone and give Full Control to the Administrators group on the root of drive D.
- Create a folder called D:\SPOOL\PRINTERS and add Full Control NTFS permissions for the Creator Owner and System accounts (right-click on the folder, select Properties, and click on the Security tab and the Permissions button).
- Launch the Printers applet from the Control Panel.
- Select File-Server Properties, then click on the Advanced tab.
- Type D:\SPOOL\PRINTERS in the Spool folder box and click on OK.
- Reboot to cause the spool directory change to take effect.
Your print spooler now should be running faster for your print jobs. Remember to that the NTFS permissions are set correctly as stated to ensure there are no problems in clients printing to the printer.
Just click on the back arrow for the Tiproom Home Page.
Just click on the back arrow for the NT Tip Page.
Extracted from Windows Systems Special 2000, page 62.
Date of last revision: 14 August 2001