Memo Or Text, Which Is Best?
There are few distinctions between a Memo and a Text data field, but knowing the differences will help you choose the right one. The distinctions are:
- A Text field accepts up to 255 characters, including letters, numbers, and any punctuation.
- A Memo field can hold up to 64,000 characters.
- You can limit the size of a Text field using the Field Size property.
- However, you can't limit the size of the Memo field. It will take that 64K of space whether you want it to or not.
- Text fields accept formatting BUT memo fields do not.
Therefore, you'll want to rely on Text fields when the entry is small (fewer than 255 characters) or when you want to limit or format the data. Use a Memo field, when the entry is larger than 255 characters field.
Just click on the button for the Tiproom's Home Page.
Date of last revision: 16 August 2001.