Backup Your Address Book or Contacts
Outlook offers different ways to export your Contacts into various file formats or you can just save out the entire folder. You can easily copy your Address Book to a floppy disk or another location on your hard drive for safety reasons. Just follow these procedures.
- First locate your Address Book by using the Find command. Search for files using the extension *.wab. With Windows 98x operating systems, you will probably find the file in your Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book folder and with Windows 2000 it should be under a folder beneath Documents and Settings.
- Once you locate the WAB file, then simply copy it to a floppy disk.
- To copy your Contacts folder.
- Open Outlook, and select File, Import and Export.
- In the dialog box, select Export To A File. Then click the Next button.
- In the next window, choose your desired format (typically a comma separated value provides for easier data transfer between different applications). Also notice that if you choose the PST format, that you could back up your entire Personal Folder list in Outlook.
- In the next window that displays your list of folders, simply click on Contacts.
- Then click the Next button. The next box will present a place to enter the name of your file such as Contacts_Backup or you can Browse to select a desired location on your hard drive.
- Then click the Next button and you will have the option to map the Contacts field by clicking on the Map Custom Fields button.
- After your fields of data have been selected, then click the Finish button to export your data.
You can use the same procedure to backup your entire post office or mail folders by selecting PST on file type, clicking on the Personal Folders and selecting to back up all sub-folders. Then simply select a location you desire to place your PST folder. Remember, that your PST file can become quite large so be sure to use an area with sufficient space.
I would suggest running Outlook, and do a Right-Click on the Personal Folder. Then select the Properties option. Click on the Folder Size button and you will receive a total size of your mail folders.
Just click on the button for the Tiproom's Home Page.