Categories & Views
Outlook lets you view Contacts and Messages in multiple categories. You can even create new categories and add or delete items from the Master Category List (MCL). To start first let's create a category in Contacts and then view that category. For example to create a Category in Contacts, follow these steps:
- Select the Contacts folder, then select desired Contact.
- Open the Contact or edit the Contact by double-clicking on the name of the Contact.
- Then in the lower right of window, click the Categories button.
- Then check the appropriate box for you Category such as Business. More than one Category can be chosen by clicking in the box. Note: You can click on the MCL button to add or delete different categories.
- Then click OK a couple of times to exit out back to the standard Contacts view.
To view your Contacts by Category:
- Select your desired contacts by using the SHIFT+Left-Mouse Click to select a range of contacts or use the CTRL+Left-Click.
- Once you have the contacts selected that you want to view, then go to View, Current View, By Category.
- Then notice the different view already presented with your contacts listed by Category. The listing even tells you how many entries you have in each Category.
- Click on the "+" symbol to expand the list, to view your contacts. Information will be presented in a table like format that can be easily read.
- To return to normal view: Select View, Current View, Address Card (default view).
To create categories of your email messages, follow these steps:
- Select the range of messages by using the SHIFT+Left-Click or use CTRL+Left-Click to tag various messages.
- Then Right-Click, select Categories.
- Check the box by the desired category. More than one category can be chosen. Also, at this dialog box, you can click on the MCL button to add or delete categories.
- Then close out the dialog boxes by clicking on the OK button. Then your messages are now listed by categories. Special Note: All your mail folders will now be categorized with a expandable box. By clicking on the "+" box, you can expand the listing.
To view you categorized messages, follow these steps:
- First select your desired mail folder.
- Select View, Current View, Customize Current View.
- Then click Group By in the View Summary dialog box.
- Then select Categories, and choose either Ascending or Descending Order.
- Then close boxes by clicking the OK button.
- Now you messages should be viewed by category in whatever folder you are in at the time. The view will have a "+" symbol. By clicking on the symbol you can expand the messages that have been associated with that category.
- To return to the normal view: Select View, Customize View, Message with AutoPreview, and your standard view will be presented. Special Note: The return to the standard view only works for the existing folder you are located in, so be sure to only categorize messages when there is a requirement, because changing the views back takes time especially if you have multiple mail folders. To go back to Category view, just follow the initial steps to view your categories.
Check out all the categories that Outlook provides including the capability to customize categories by adding your own items. Outlook has lots of flexibility in its views, so check out View, Define View, to see how multiple folders could be viewed. Have a great time viewing all those contacts and messages.
Just click on the button for the Tiproom's Home Page.
Date of last revision: 31 August 2001.