Handling Error Messages Concerning OLEAUT32.DLL
Some programs mistakenly install older, out-of-date versions of some critical Windows system files. That can cause problems for your other programs that depend on the newest version of these files. If you start PowerPoint and see the error message
The AGENTSVR.EXE file is linked to missing export OLEAUT32.DLL:277
it means you're probably a victim of this type of installer mischief. Here's what you should do.
- If PowerPoint doesn't close immediately afterwards, select Help, Detect And Repair.
- Click Start in the Detect And Repair dialog box. Office Setup starts and replaces the outdated copy of OLEAUT32.DLL with the updated one it needs to run.
- If you can't start PowerPoint because of this problem, choose Start, Settings, Control Panel.
- Double-Click Add/Remove Programs.
- Locate Microsoft Office 2000 in the list of programs and double-click it.
- Wait until you see the Microsoft Office 2000 Maintenance Mode dialog box, then click Repair Office.
- When prompted again, click Finish.
Note: If you see error messages during the repair procedure because of the outdated copy of OLEAUT32.DLL. If so, click Ignore in each error message dialog box, and the repair procedure will continue.
This tip comes from Tipworld.
Just click on the button for the Tiproom's Home Page.
Date of last revision: 20 September 2001.