DOS Does Windows
Let's suppose that you know you can open up a file from the Start Menu button by simply clicking on the Start, then select the RUN command and type the name of a file such as mydoc.doc which will automatically open up MS Word 95/97/2000.
Now let's try the same thing at the DOS prompt. Follow these commands:
- Access Start Button and select MS-DOS prompt.
- Enter the command STARTand a path name such as: START C:\MYDOCU~1\MYFILE.DOC, then hit the enter key.
- Note: Your file will open and automatically call up MS Word.
This technique also works with viewing the contents of any folder on your hard drive. For example, at the DOS prompt:
- Type START SENDTO then hit the Enter key; the SendTo folder will be opened up in Explorer.
- So if you want to view certain directories, remember START will open up any directory on your hard drive by keying in the name. I believe you will find that DOS does do Windows.
Windows 2000 Tips Page
Tiproom's Home Page
Last Revision Date: 2 January 2002