Securing Windows 2000 Quickly
If you want a quick way to secure your workstation in Windows 2000 follow these instructions:
- Right click on your desktop on an empty area.
- Select menu option to Create a New Shortcut.
- In the Create Shortcut dialog box just under where it tells you to type the location, enter this command in exactly (important: case and spaces are significant):
- Then click the Next Button.
- In the dialog box give your shortcut a name such as Lock Workstation.
- The click Finish button.
- Then execute a right-click on the shortcut and select Properties.
- Place your cursor in the Shortcut Key box to define a key combination, I would suggest simply using a one keystroke such as the "-" minus symbol on your numeric keypad. Important, you only need to his this key once and NOT the numlock key, just the minus (-) key. You should see the display show as: Num-.
- Please note, if other keys are used such as A-Z or 0-9, the Ctrl+Alt will be automatically entered and it will require a 3 - key press instead of just one key depress. So save time and use the - key or other symbol key on your keypad.
- Once your shortcut called Lock Workstation is completed. Take and click only once on the shortcut and drag it to your Start button.
- Now to lock your workstation, simply press the - key on your keypad and it is locked instead of having to perform a 3-key press (CTRL+ALT+DEL) then select Lock Workstation button. Save time and just strike the - key to quickly lock your workstation.
This tip is extracted from the InfoWorld, Oct 2000.
Windows 2000 Tips Page
Tiproom's Home Page