Get A Clear Type Logon Screen
If you use a laptop or notebook computer, you probably know what a big difference clear type fonts make in readability. However, the clear type fonts don't start up until after you log on with an XP PC. If you want to see clear type fonts before you log on, then follow these steps:
- Click Start and the click the Run command.
- In the Run dialog box, type regedt32 in the Open text box, then click OK.
- In the Registry Editor, select File, Export, and then enter a name of the file which will be your registry back. It will have a *.reg extension. Note: It is always a good idea to backup your registry after a new program is successfully installed or when you make changes to your registry.
- After a backup copy has been made, drill down the registry to the HKEY_USERS/DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop node in the left window pane.
- In the right pane, double click on the FontSmoothingType entry.
- In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, change the Value Data from 1 to 2. Then click OK and Close the Registry Editor.
Reboot the computer and enjoy clear text fonts at your log on screen.
This tip has been extracted from WinXP News dated 12 December 2001, for more information link to their site WinXP News.
Just click on the button to access my home page.
Just click on the back arrow for the Windows XP Tip Page.