Changing Registered Owner Information
If your company has changed names or your owner information has changed, you can place the correct information into your system by modifying your registry. Follow these commands:
- First backup your Registry file, by selecting Regedit.exe from the C:\Windows directory or use someother third party program such as Norton System Works or a freeware program called Registrar Lite, or check the Internet for free registry editors. I like Registrar Lite because it shows you the Registry entries in a nice table format. Select File, Export to save your *.REG file to a different hard drive or folder.
- Then use Regedit. You can execute Regedit by accessing the Start button, Run, and type regedit and click the OK button.
- Navigate your way to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\
Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion.
- In the right pane, right-click RegisteredOwner and select Modify.
- Type the correct information on the Value Data line of the Edit String dialog box, then click OK.
- Close the Registry Editor, and the new information will appear now in the System Properties dialog box.
This tip comes from Valerie Ryan with additional information from myself.
Just click on the back arrow for the Home Page.
Date of last revision: 2 August 2001.