Saving Hard Drive Space
To save precious hard drive space you can perform the following procedures:
- Access the Start button, select Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and Maintenance Wizard. This will remove your temporary files, empty your Recycle Bin, and remove your temporary Internet files.
- Or you can execute MS Explorer, select desired hard drive letter, and do a right-click, and select Properties. Then select Disk Maintenance button.
You can also save drive space by converting from the default FAT16 to FAT32. The FAT stands for File Allocation Table. Prior to performing the conversion, know these warnings:
- Once you convert from FAT16 to FAT32, you will not be able to return back to FAT16 without re-partitioning and formatting your hard drive.
- If you have an old Pentium processor with a speed of 120MHz or slower, I would not suggest using FAT32 because it would slow your PC down.
- Your system will not support dual boot with older Windows operating systems such as Windows 95 (Version 4.00.950), Windows NT 3.x/4.0, and Windows 3.x.
- Ensure that your disk utility program is compatible with FAT32.
- Be sure that the screen saver is turned off and the Energy Savings have been disabled. The conversion may take from 1 to 3 hours depending on your processor speed and hard disk size.
The conversion to FAT32 is recognized by Windows 98 all versions, Windows ME, Windows 2000, and Windows 95 Release 2.1 and above. FAT16 will only recognize hard drive sizes up to 2GB while FAT32 will recognize hard drives up to 2TB or Terabytes. So if you want to get a 80GB or 100GB drive, you will have to use FAT32 or NTFS to recognize the drive or you will be required to get a Disk Manager that could potentially run into problems. There is also considerable space savings because with FAT16, each file no matter how small takes up 32K of space while FAT32 requires only 4K which saves you 28K everytime you save a small file to your hard disk. So if you are saving links to the Favorites folder, or small files, the space is more efficiently utilized.
To convert your FAT16 to FAT32, follow these instructions:
- Access the Start button, select Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and select Drive Converter (FAT32).
Now just take a break while this process is going on. Time is dependent upon the processor speed, memory, size of hard drive, speed of hard drive, and the amount of available space.
Just click on the back arrow for the Home Page.
Date of last revision: 2 August 2001.