Changing The Screen Resolution Without Having To Reboot
Typically when you change the screen resolution on your monitor, you are then required to reboot the system. So if you wanted to go from 800X600 to 640X480, you would have to reboot your PC to have the change be affected. However, you change your resolution without having to reboot, just follow these steps:
- Right-Click anywhere on your desktop or wallpaper.
- Then click on Properties.
- At the Display Properties Dialog Box click on the Settings tab.
- Then click on the Advanced button.
- Click on or check the box titled "Show Settings.."
- Then click on or check the circle titled "Apply...settings without restarting."
- Then click the OK button.
- Now change the resolution to something different such as 800X600 or 1024X768 and click the OK or Apply button.
- Then just click Yes to make the changes effective.
Now once you have followed these steps, you will find a monitor on your lower right Task bar. Simply left-click on the monitor and select the available setting that your video will support and click the new setting. It will be changed to the setting you clicked on, so change your resolutions the easy way. This tip should come in handy especially for those game players.
Just click on the back arrow for the Home Page.
Date of last revision: 5 September 2001.