Stopping Programs That Run At Startup
When Windows starts up it may have some programs that will run automatically. If you want to stop any of these programs because they are causing you problems, there are three methods that you can use:
First Method: Using the command line. Follow these instructions:
- Go to the Start button, and select Run.
- In the command line block, type: msconfig, then click the OK button.
- On the General tab you will see three options, select option: Selective Startup. Then just uncheck the applications you do not want to run when Windows starts up.
Second Method: Using folder selection. Follow these instructions:
- Double-click on My Computer.
- Then double-click on drive C, double-click on the Windows folder.
- Then double-click on Start Menu folder, then double-click on Programs folder.
- Double-click on StartUp folder and simply delete any shortcuts belonging to programs you do not want to load.
Third Method: Using keyboard. Follow these instructions:
- Restart your system.
- After seeing the text: Starting Windows...., hold down the Shift key until Windows loads. This will bypass the Startup folder and not load any programs listed there. This is a good method priod to performing a defrag on your hard drive.
Just click on the back arrow for the Home Page.
Date of last revision: 31 July 2001.