Using the Update Wizard Without Registering Windows 98x
When you run the Update Wizard, it will perform correctly as long as your operating system is registered, but what happens if you had to reinstall your operating system, or something else has happened. How can you run the Update Wizard without a registered copy. Just follow these instructions from Larry Passo, who was the first to come up with this procedure.
Follow these instructions:
- Use a DOS text or ASCII editor such as Notepad to create the following file: Register.reg
- Be sure the file extension is REG and that each item is placed on a separate line.
- Then enter these commands:
- Once you have saved the file: Register.reg, then perform a Right-Click, then select Merge.
- This creates the key RegDone and gives it a value of 1 in the Registry.
After the REG file has ran successfully, you can then use the Update Wizard to receive your updates without the nagging screen to register.
Just click on the back arrow for the Home Page.
Originally extracted from the InfoWorld magazine, p.61, Window Manager.Date of last revision: 29 November 2001.